Friday, May 11, 2012

Born to be a bride? Not me!

I'm currently reading a book called, "How I planned your wedding." It's authors are a mother and daughter, who featured on Wedding Podcast Network's "here come the mom's" some time ago. I wanted to read the book because I've already had one falling out with my mum over the wedding, and I'd like not to have another. But that's not what this post is about.

Elizabeth (the daughter) says she was, "Born to be a bride." She's been dreaming of her big day forever, and had a lot of decisions made by the time she got engaged.

I find this interesting for two reasons. First, she's been dreaming of her day, not their day. Second, making  decisions together is a big part of a marriage, and it starts with the wedding.

I only started dreaming about our (not my) wedding when I could see that there might be one - after Gadget and I moved in together. But when we started planning I had obviously thought about things a lot more than he had.

Elizabeth goes on to say that she included all of her groom's ideas into the day (although he didn't request much), and that they sat down and prioritised their budget together. She says sometimes the conversation got uncomfortable, but that it "laid the groundwork for future financial decisions."

Hopefully we can achieve this too, because for me that's what's at the heart of a wedding - the groundwork for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment